Board member development is the best investment you can make in the success of your nonprofit organization. People come to a Board with incredible passion, but less often with an understanding of what it really means to serve. Many leave for that very reason. Nonprofit Board Boot Camp is a comprehensive overview of what every Board member should know to be confident, productive and effective members of the governing team.
You may want to send new members to Boot Camp as a general orientation to Board service, Board Chairs to strengthen their leadership, or all members together to establish Board norms of behavior. Executive Directors and staff members are also welcome to attend in order to better support and partner with their Boards. Boot Camp is also a fun, interactive, team building experience – the best kind of education.
Here is where we learn the top 10 roles and responsibilities of board members, with special emphasis on the board role in financial oversight, fundraising, planning, and partnering with the Chief Executive. You will come away with a clear understanding of the many facets of board service, along with tools you can use to increase the effectiveness of your Board.
By the end of this 3-4 hour workshop, you will be able to:
- Identify the top 10 roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards
- Differentiate between governance and management
- List best practices for board recruitment, retention, and evaluation
- Explore best practices for executive staff relationships and evaluation
- Define common board leadership roles and committees
- Outline effective strategies for financial oversight
- Explain how you can help your organization raise funds and awareness
Who should attend?
- New nonprofit board members who want to serve their organizations well
- Existing nonprofit board members who want to better understand their roles and responsibilities
- Nonprofit staff members who want a stronger grasp of the Board role in nonprofit effectiveness and oversight
Learn more about Sue Breland and schedule a Boot Camp for your Board today!